About the Team
DoorDash Labs is an independent team within DoorDash. We explore robotics and automation to transform last mile logistics in the long term. If you have a passion for applying robotics solutions in a service used by millions of people, we want to talk to you!
About the Role
In this role, your main focus will be to ship control algorithms for various ECUs that operate the power-train and other systems of the robot. Additionally, you will rigorously test the robot’s performance at various levels (component testing, simulation, end-to-end road testing etc.) and continuously seek to improve development processes, testing methods, bug triage and robot performance. You will report to a Technical Lead on our Autonomy team.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Design and implement low-level control algorithms to safely control ALL vehicle components such as low and high voltage batteries, drive-train, thermal management devices etc.
- Build infrastructure (plant models, functional models, dyno setup, task automation tools etc.) to perform detailed hardware-in-the-loop and software-in-the-loop simulation of all vehicle components
- Proactively design features/systems/processes to exceed the needs of internal customers i.e. robot operations, field service, autonomy software stack and hardware
- Define and solve new problems not listed here using new skills and knowledge that you may have to acquire on the fly!
We're excited about you because…
- BS/MS degree in Robotics, Mechatronics, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering or related technical field
- Experience with HIL (hardware in the loop) testing with Speedgoat or similar tools
- Experience developing and testing brushless motor controls
- 3+ years hands-on experience of building robots, autonomous vehicles or other complex mechatronics systems
- Proficiency in model based design using MATLAB/Simulink/Stateflow and Strong understanding of fundamental parts of robotics or mechatronics systems: feedback control, sensors, actuators, embedded controllers, CAN communication
- Working knowledge of C
Nice to have...
- Working knowledge of C++/Python
- Experience in building physical models of mechatronic systems for simulation
- Strong understanding of road vehicle dynamics
- Deep respect and understanding for a principled and rigorous approach to testing safety-critical systems
- Experience developing and testing BMS (Battery Management System)
- Ability to write clear, concise and complete documentation of designs and tasks
- Comfortable using source control and build automation tools like Git, jenkins etc.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.
The location-specific base salary range for this position is listed below. Compensation in other geographies may vary.
Actual compensation within the pay range will be decided based on factors including, but not limited to, skills, prior relevant experience, and specific work location. For roles that are available to be filled remotely, base salary is localized according to employee work location. Please discuss your intended work location with your recruiter for more information.
DoorDash cares about you and your overall well-being, and that’s why we offer a comprehensive benefits package, for full-time employees, that includes healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan including an employer match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, wellbeing benefits, paid time off, paid parental leave, and several paid holidays, among others.
In addition to base salary, the compensation package for this role also includes opportunities for equity grants.